Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Rest of the Story!

This is long over due but what is new in my world! Many times I have thought about writing this and just did not stop and make the time to do it. It is a lot like writing out my budget! I still have not sat down to focus on that yet either! One thing at a time!

Here is the rest of my body experiment with eating Vegan for a month. I will let the lab results speak first:

3/24/10

Cholesterol 236 (0-200)

Triglyceride 136 (<150)

HDL 57 (>39)

Total Chol/

HDL Ratio 4.1

VDL Chol 27 (0-40)

LDL Chol 152 (0-99)

4/26/10

Cholesterol 177 (0-200)

Triglyceride 104 (<150)

HDL 42 (>39)

Total Chol/

HDL Ratio 4.2

VDL Chol 21 (0-40)

LDL Chol 114 (0-99)

Total Cholesterol reduction in 1 month is 59 points! Everything except LDL is with in the normal range. After I saw these results I was shocked as was my Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and others in my family. There was no doubt I was going to continue eating this way.

It has not been that hard either. The biggest thing was learning what to eat. I have had very little meat since this. I can count on 1 hand the times I have had meat. When I did have meat, it was very little not because I did not want it, but it has lost much of its taste. I find the vegetables have a much more flavor. I make a great pulled pork recipe and have cooked it 2x in the past month at others request. I normally would have devoured it after I smoked it and puled it apart. Not this time. I had a couple of bites and that is it. I did not want any more. Now I grill some very tasty veggies!

I have found mixed opinions on eating vegan. Many are the same opinions I have had when I met someone who was a vegetarian or vegan. I find it is an emotional connection with eating meat vs and educational connection. The first thing people ask me is how are you getting enough protein. I ask how much do I need? They usually say “I don’t know”. Truth is, I don’t either!

The 2nd week I started eating more beans, rice, and potatoes. It helped me stay full longer than just fruits and vegetables. I have found there are many quick ways to eat this way thanks to Trader Joe’s and Wild Oats. Even Costco has pre-made ready to eat Vegetarian foods. I had a great mushroom burger some friends brought over for dinner the other night.

So there you have the rest of the story. I am continuing to eat whole food, plant based foods. I don’t count any thing and eat until I am full and still have lost weight.

Train and eat and drink to your health!

1 comment:

  1. Wow....great job!!! Results speak louder than anything else! I was vegan for a while when I was in my 20's....just got too skinny and weak..didn't really work for me. Glad to see you are getting healthier though :)

    ReplyDelete