Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thought for the Day!

I have been reading the book and listening to a study on Ecclesiastes by Tommy Nelson from Denton Bible Church. It is a very good study! I have been thinking about a conversation I had recently about raising our kids and preparing to launch them into the world. The profound statement by my friend is one I have heard before but one I wish I was given as I was growing up. He said tell them to do what they love to do!  I asked him if he was doing what he loved to do?  As with many our age and generation the answer was NO.  What about you?  Are you doing what you love to do?   Where you encouraged to do what you loved to do growing up?


My wife asked me why I put 1 Timothy 4:8 on my blog.  She thinks it is opposite of what I am trying to do.  Maybe, but I don’t think so.  I am not trying to maintain some fountain of youth.  It is a reminder to pursue that which will last.  I want to live well and enjoy all the time I have on this earth in the best health possible. (See Eccl 5:18 and Psalm 90:10,12)  I want to be able to be as strong and athletic as I can so I can play with my kids for as long as I can!  But my ultimate goal is to pursue God Himself and enjoy Him forever!


This brings me back to my my original TOD.  Know how short our time is here on Earth, am I doing what I love to do-Not yet, but working on it!  What about you?  

1 comment:

  1. I knew when I was younger that I should "do what I loved," but I wasn't sure how to go about making a living at it. I'm still not sure. I know I am not spending my best hours doing what I love, but I'm squeezing in what I love in all the hours I have outside of work. Does that count?

    I would say I'm definitely endeavoring to transition to a chapter where my best hours will be spent doing what I love, but the timing on that remains in God's hands (as well as somewhat paced by my own remaining energy post-workday).

    ReplyDelete